Ebony is a small hamlet in the parish of Stone-cum-Ebony on the borders of East Sussex and Kent. Ebony was once an island reached by ferry from Reading Street when the River Rother flowed past the Isle of Oxney on its way out to sea. The island known as Ebony is now called Chapel Bank as there was once a church built on the island. In 1858 it was decided to move the church, St Mary the Virgin, as it had fallen in bad repair and much of the population had abandoned the island in favour of Reading Street. The church was moved stone by stone to its present location in Reading Street using horse and cart to carry the masonry.
Saturday 16th December for 16 days
Every day from 16th to 31st December 4.30pm to 9pm, 24 properties will illuminate their windows with a different Christmas ... more
Saturday 16th December
hris and Glenn will be joining us at St Mary’s Church after hugely successful sold out UK and US Squeeze ... more